FAQ – Moose Hunting
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS –
What do I need to bring?
- Medications (ibuprofen, acetaminophen, allergy, antacids)
- Prescription medications – make sure to pack enough for seven extra days
- Prescription glasses or contact lenses
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Unscented sunscreen
- Insect repellent
- Pre-moistened towelettes
- Sleeping bag, pillow, towel
Documentation and Essentials:
- Passport (for border crossing)
- Photo ID (drivers’ license etc.)
- Ontario Outdoors Card and license summary
- Cash and checks for payment and gratuities
- Shirts for layering (t-shirts, sweatshirts, cotton shirts, flannel shirts)
- Thermal underwear
- Cotton socks, wool socks
- Pants, jeans
- Footwear – lightweight, waterproof boots for walking; warm, insulated boots; rubber boots; slip-on shoes for inside tent or cabin
- Good quality rainwear
- Warm hat and coat
- Gloves, mitts
- Hunter orange vest and hat (minimum of 400 sq. inches)
- Rifle (please make sure your rifle is sighted prior to arrival)
- Soft rifle case for transportation on the aircraft
- Two boxes of shells with gun (180 grain is most popular)
- Walkie Talkies (minimum 20k range)
- Ziplock bags (for licenses and tags)
- Binoculars (for gauging longer shots)
- GPS or compass
- InReach compact satellites allow for text messaging and access to weather and maps
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Hunting knife/fish fileting knife
- Four large coolers per moose – expect around 400 to 800 lbs. of dressed meat. Some hunters bring a freezer to be plugged in at our water base at the end of the week
- Fishing rods
- Rod holder (for vehicle)
- Knife sharpener
- Needle-nose pliers
- Spare spools
- Fishing gloves
- Extra reel with rod repair kit
What about meals for my group?
Guided packages include all food and beverages for the duration of your hunt. Non-Guided Packages require you to bring your own groceries. Meal plans can be purchased for $350 USD/person.
How much is the deposit?
Deposits are $1500 per person for Package Plans #1-3, and $2500 per person for Package Plan #4 (One-on-One Trophy Hunt)
Are there methods of communication?
At Outpost Cabins, there is WiFi internet. At Tent Camps there is 24-hour satellite phone communication.
What documents do I need to hunt in Ontario?
As a Non-Resident, you will need an Outdoors Card, Ontario Hunter Accreditation, License Summary, and Non-Resident Firearms Declaration Form. Assistance with obtaining these documents is available by contacting our tourism staff at 1-807-662-5292 or email@example.com. There is additional information on the Hunt and Fish Ontario Website.
What can we expect from a day of moose hunting with Excellent Adventures?
Check out this fantastic video that was created by one of our hunting guides to get a better idea of what you can expect from your trip: Diary of a Moose Hunting Guide – 1 on 1 Trophy Bull Hunt
What’s your success rate?
What kind of weather can we expect for the end of September and early October?
The average weather during moose season in the Red Lake area is usually between 35 degrees Fahrenheit overnight- 55 degrees Fahrenheit in the daytime. Oftentimes we experience frost in the morning and warm sunshine by the afternoon.
What's the difference between a tent camp and an outpost cabin?
Our Tent Camps are set up in truly isolated areas. The hunt site consists of a large tent with canvas floor and thick mattresses and another for a kitchen area. The tents are set up for 2 – 6 people, depending on the hunt group. There is 24 hour satellite phone communication. All utensils and food are included, as well as a propane cooking stove, lanterns, generator, and fishing equipment.
The Outpost Cabins offer wireless internet access, generator and solar panel system, refrigerator and deep freezer, propane BBQ grill and fish cooker, as well as indoor toilets and hot and cold water for showers. Outpost Cabin locations are not as remote as the tent camps, but you are still the only people hunting in the area. Please refer to our Brownstone Outpost and Headwaters Outpost pages for more details on what each cabin offers.